The Opportunity Institute [OI], a 501(c)(3) organization, promotes social mobility and equity by improving outcomes from early childhood through early career. We focus primarily on education, which plays a critical role in opening opportunities, and closely related social policies. OI brings together thought leaders in early childhood development, PreK through 12 education, juvenile and criminal justice, and higher education to collaborate across policy sectors for broader and deeper impact. The OI team boasts a wide range of experience and uses a rich set of professional and disciplinary tools to promote policy change and conduct demonstration programs. We are based in Berkeley, California, with a small office in Washington, DC. For more about our work, visit theopportunityinstitute.org.
The Opportunity Institute seeks a motivated Communications Manager with strong editorial and digital skills to help amplify the work of OI’s projects and advance its mission. Reporting to the Associate Director of Communications, the Communications Manager will manage OI’s social media channels and develop content for the organization and its online platforms. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, able to work under pressure, and be looking for an opportunity to help shape and enhance a young nonprofit’s communications strategy. This is a full-time position in Berkeley, CA.
- Work with the Associate Director of Communications to develop and implement a digital communications strategy that supports OI’s organizational goals.
- Draft and edit communications materials and content for the organization, including blog posts, email campaigns, op-eds, press releases, press statements, and presentations for fundraising and partnership prospects.
- Manage OI’s social media channels; help update and maintain OI's website.
- Develop and maintain an editorial calendar for OI’s website and social channels.
- Monitor policy developments and news related to OI’s issue areas and identify opportunities for new content that advances OI’s objectives.
- Monitor and track the performance of OI’s online platforms and make recommendations to improve the impact of content.
- Support other projects on the communications team as needed.
- Minimum of three to five years of experience in communications, marketing, digital media or comparable experience required.
- Experience developing and implementing external communications strategies at public interest organizations; education or equity policy-focus a strong plus.
- Demonstrated experience managing, growing, and engaging online audiences.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Creative thinker with excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Highly organized and efficient with time.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with cross-functional teams and managing or coordinating with external partners.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degrees in marketing / communications or a social science discipline welcomed.
INTERESTED? PLEASE APPLY
If you believe you are a good fit for this position, we would welcome a cover letter and resume. Please send them in one single attached document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Opportunity Institute is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace.